Friday, August 9, 2013

Judging a Book by Its Cover

After refreshing the interior of my book, I believe it is time to look at its jacket.  Does my cover really work for my book?  Here is the original cover:


I liked it because the peachy colors made it very feminine and the type was the same as the interior.  I designed the ring using stock imagery and the circle tool in Microsoft Publisher.  Very inexpensive and, I think, it conveys the interior's content.  But does it work?

Short of returning to college to study cover art, I did a simply Google search.  Here are some of the useful tips I discovered:

Inspiration

The following link shows very artsy, fartsy covers.  Clearly, these people have Adobe Photoshop.  Although I will never be able to create letters out of water, I do find these images to be refreshing and inspiring.  Also exceptionally well thought out...

"50 Best Book Covers Of 2012: Design Observer Announces Winners"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/best-book-covers-2012-_n_3509364.html

To Serif or Not to Serif 

Serifs are the little flairs on fonts, such as this Times New Roman Font.  Non Serif fonts are like this Ariel font.  Serif'd fonts are the easiest to read and the most commonly used font in books.  Either way, the font chosen can really make an impression on the reader, especially on the cover.  This begs the question, should I use a serif font or not?  Here is an article that I believe has some great ideas on this point...

"5 Great Fonts for Book Covers"
http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2011/08/5-great-fonts-for-book-covers/

I like that article, but it doesn't really help me with my topic, legal - So, I just typed in the Google search engine: legal book cover art.  What appeared in the Web search field is the issue of copyright laws.  This is not what I had in mind.  So instead of changing my search terms, I decide to click the Images tab.  What I find there was most interesting:


I am not sure if you can see that, but a majority of the book's titles are in ALL CAPS.  Hmmm.  That is an option I am going to try now...

I LIKE IT!  I think it really conveys a new look.  Much more dignified.  Reserved.  Trustworthy.  I even did the whole INCREASING THE SIZE OF THE BIG WORDS.

Finally, the colors.  As much as I like the peachy-ness of the other cover.  I kind of want it to go to another place.  However, when I change the color of the font, the title seems weak against the white cover.  Now, I am thinking a black cover with a colored font on top, but I like the image of the ring (blue diamond, gold band).   Thus, I have filled the text box black.  Should I do blue letters?  No.  Should I do gold?  Well, what does the color wheel say?

According to HDTV's color instruction, blue is a primary color and orange is its secondary color:
http://www.hgtv.com/decorating-basics/color-wheel-primer/index.html

For my needs, I am thinking I should go with a more reddish-orange than gold.

Are you ready for the before and after?  I am!  Let me see...



 And now...



Wow!  I think I really like it!  The difference is amazing.  The ring really pops and the font looks...sexy.  Yeah, I said it.  I think it is a great change!  I will have to order a copy to see...I think the background is a little dark, but I think it works...

Exciting changes before the weekend.  Have a good one!

CC






No comments:

Post a Comment