Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Fork in the Road

There is something to be said about getting off your ass and ending procrastination.  It certainly does lead to activity.  Activity is great, but this ultimately leads to shit actually happening versus nothing happening.

Can you hear that?  I think I just heard the world's tiniest violin...

Prior to the holidays, I forwarded a few chapters to the leading regional publisher of trade books.  I sort of thought they might be interested, but expected a flat rejection considering the economy and that they currently have a listing on family law.  What I did not expect is a letter requesting I detail how this text differs from their current offering.

Obviously, I am going to argue my book greatly differs from their current book.  That book is BORING.  I can barely read the introduction.  It is also dated.  It was published in 2004.  Hard to believe, but that is almost a decade ago.  Plus, that text goes for $20.  Mine is only $10.  BIG DIFFERENCE.

I know.  That sounds like a stretch...

To send a proper reply, I believe I should find that book at our local law library and really glance it over.  Do a little more than just "Click for an Inside Look" off Amazon.  I believe a few paragraphs in reply are in order.

The other fork in the road is that I have joined a local Meet Up self-publishing group.  We met a little over a week ago and I feel very inspired.  It feels great to learn tips, hear others self-publishing whoa's, and find camaraderie.  It sort of makes me feel like maybe going it alone really is the best option.

Right now, I feel like a cartoon character whose car has come to a fork in the road.  Rather than choosing a left or a right lane, I am simply picking my car up around me and two wheels are going one way while the others go the opposite direction.  Let's see how long this activity lasts...

More to come,
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment