Thursday, July 25, 2013

Is anything ever really complete?

Upon forwarding my book information out to my friends and colleagues, I found myself revisiting the actual text and making quite a few edits.  I strongly agree with the writing concept that as much as you love writing something, it might not work in the end and you have to edit yourself.  You have to say, as much as I think that is funny and well composed, it does not work for the reader or the audience and needs to be altered.

The impetus for these changes was that someone who commented was not someone I had originally pictured in my audience.  Once HE was there (I focused my book primarily on women), I realized my introduction could be off-putting and too narrow.  It wasn't all encompassing.  It wasn't permitting the reader to get comfortable.  Rather, it seemed to make the reader say to themselves, "I am going to be fighting against the grain of this book and I am only three sentences in and already annoyed."

A slash here and a slash there, I think the book's introduction is more coherent and soft.  The only issue now are the printed books from my previous prints.  I have decided those will be galleys and there were changes made post-production :)  I am working it out.

CC

From the Proposal to Ever After: A Louisiana Woman's Guide to Marriage and Community Property Laws [Kindle Edition]

No comments:

Post a Comment