Monday, July 29, 2013

Lost Artist



Photographer Daniel Williams - Retro Camera Review - Episode 12

-----------
I was introduced to Daniel Williams through a mutual friend and only hung out with him a handfull of times.  He was a mere 21 years of age when we met.  He was skinny, skinny and had an 80's punk-rock air about him.  His hair was blondish, bordering on strawberry blond and was completely shaved except for a longish patch in the front.  His pants were tight and black and he wore a grayish, creamy t-shirt that was 4x too large for his lanky frame.  His skin was equally as fair as his hair, but it had reddish blemishes here and there.  He also carried an oversize brown clutch purse.

I will admit, his appearance and that purse caused me to pause at first.  Now, I know our mutual friend and he were lovers, but a man carrying a clutch on a bright sunny day was another level for me.  Clearly, he was living his life on his terms.  I honestly admired that and quickly embraced the uniqueness of his personal style.  Especially when he spoke.  His voice was so deep, effeminate and southern all at the same time.  It was just as unique as his style.  Daniel was the genuine article inside and out.

After strolling down Magazine Street in New Orleans, the three of us sat at a small cafe table just outside the old Rue de la Course. As I inquired more about his studies, Daniel seemed to relax and enjoy discussing his work and his career's trajectory.  Daniel would eventually begin digging into his purse.  To my surprise, out came his diabetic medication and syringe.  While sitting by the cafe, he injected his insulin in his stomach very discretely and quickly.

Daniel then needed a refill, so he entered the cafe.  This gave my friend and I an opportunity to gossip about the situation.  He told me he was proceeding cautiously.  Apparently, Daniel was finishing his photography studies at LSU in Baton Rouge and he was looking to move to NYC when he graduated.  Considering he would be graduating in a year or so, my friend didn't want to get super involved if this was just turning out to be a fling before he left town.  Plus, Daniel drove a motorcycle, which can give a non-living-on-the-edge person a bit of concern.  We both agreed that life throws you come interesting curves and he should just go with the flow.

Over the next two years, our friend would end up riding on the back of Daniel's motorcycle and get closer and closer as the days progressed.  Ultimately, Daniel was accepted to Parsons in NYC and our friend helped him pack up the few possessions he had.  They continued to talk daily and he even helped Daniel with airfare to come home and see us all one Thanksgiving.

Daniel and I continued to stay in touch in this digital world.  We would chat on Facebook and "like" one another's posts on Tumblr and Vine.  I was thrilled to see him featured on this video discussing his work on YouTube.  You can see more of his work here: http://thisket.com/

By far, Daniel's posts were the most outrageous and humorous of them all.  My friends and I would laugh and laugh at the outlandish things he could come up with.  Thinking about him and his career, I was simply in awe.  Would he move back to New Orleans?  Would he stay in New York?  Would he and our friend continue to date?  What would happen to Daniel?

Then, on Sunday, our friend posted that Daniel had ended his life on Tuesday, July 23rd.  Daniel had been fighting unseen demons.  His depression had simply consumed him.  He had no more energy to fight on.

I don't believe I will ever get over the shock of this news.  I have never really known anyone to take their own life.  I didn't even really know Daniel that well.  If I feel this angry, what are his friends, family and his lover feeling?

Daniel made the choice he needed to make that day, but I wish he knew it was the wrong decision.  There are people left behind who needed him and the world has lost a true artist.  I feel robbed of his talent.  I wish he was here to carry on the work that needed to be done professionally and personally.  He left too soon.

We love you Daniel.











1 comment:

  1. I am Daniel's mother, Karen Rider Williams.I've written and lost this all twice, so this time I'll try to be brief. Daniel committed suicide but was not in his right mind. He had a lethal combination of depression,fluctuating blood sugars caused from a lengthy sinus infection. He was suffering severe exhaustion.Any combination of these led to this casualty of a brilliant mind. I think he was just finishing a very busy summer session. He had been complaining of being tired for months. Daniel seldom complained about his health. He had just been to clinic and had antibiotics that he just got that day or the day before. He had been in contact with mental health a few days before but couldn't' t get a full evaluation because of HIS schedule. A psych intern offered to talk to him later in the afternoon on the day he died. Sometimes, because high or low blood sugar and the sudden drop of his anti- depressants caused him not to be in his right mind for a few hours.Remember,he was exhausted. Do any of us make good choices then.A few hours of"temporary insanity" so to speak, caused my Baby Boy to make a rash decision to end the hurt and pain. A few more hours,and it might have been a different outcome. Daniel was never depressed and seldom tired until after the onset of juvenile diabetes. Could he have been saved? Yes, people who have plans for suicide don' t get new bottle of antibiotics and make appointments. Can diabetes make you do irrational and impulsive things? You bet they can. This will not bring my beautiful boy back?? No . But if you or a friend have diabetes, don't ever think you rule it. It rules you and you must heed all negative signs and symptoms or more genius artists or other beautiful people may be OVERCOME.
    Thank you, Camille, for this beautiful,poignant article that captures my son so incredibly. You have a great career in front of you. Karen

    ReplyDelete