Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ordered 12 Copies!

I have the great fortune of having parents who own their own store.  They have graciously offered to put the book front and center on their front counter.  Today, I took the plunge and ordered 12 copies off www.createspace.com and I am having them shipped to them.  I hope with a little encouragement from my folks people will actually buy the book!  That would be novel.

Since publishing the book and informing friends and family, I have sold a whopping 5 copies.  I am thinking that my description of the book is not totally clear.  I believe improving the way the piece is marketed would be better.  I am going to think outside of the box on this.  Maybe write the description from the perspective of a "marketer" and not the "author".    

So each book was around $2.15 + shipping and handling.  My investment thus far is around $45.  I am also going to investigate filing for a business license.  My hopes are that I will be able to deduct costs from publishing off my personal income taxes.  If this thing sells, I will have to pay business taxes anyway!  Might as well get that paperwork going.  Plus, there are some pretty pricey additions to this whole marketing portion.  Here is where I think some bigger checks are going to be written:

Printing press release with full color
Printing invoice slips for mailing
Stamps
Full color flyers
Purchasing a list of businesses in the state

My thought is to target parishes one-by-one.  I could avoid purchasing and simply identify businesses online and drop a press release in the mail.  I will continue to keep you posted on these developments.  Happy publishing!  

Camille
http://amzn.com/B008A0UVPG

No comments:

Post a Comment